Packing up and moving into a new house can be a stressful time in anyone’s life, especially when the move is for life changing events such as new jobs or babies. There’s a lot of planning and detail that goes into relocation, which is also expensive and time-consuming, leaving homeowners feeling frazzled and tired. When relocation must happen quickly, the stress can be even worse. Luckily, there are a few ways of making moving less stressful.
- To-Do Lists- Lists are the saving grace of relocating because they help with time management. Moving checklists can easily be found online and will be essential to reducing stress leading up to moving day.
- Pack One Room at a Time and Label– Packing one room at a time will help with organization and labeling the boxes will make the unpacking process go much smoother. Packing should start as soon as possible because procrastination will lead to panic and chaos in the days right before moving. Using the same size boxes will also make stacking and organizing in a truck easier, help with weight distribution, and using all small to medium boxes will make your helpers happier.
- Three Piles Method- While packing is happening, implement a three-pile system where items are divided into piles to throw away, donate, or pack for the new house. Downsizing and decluttering are often a great way to create a more peaceful and less stressful environment.
- Mobile Storage- A lot of times when moving, people discover they have a lot of belongings that won’t fit in their new house or that need to go into storage because they are losing access to a garage or basement, etc. Mobile storage is an excellent option because storage containers are delivered onsite to homes. This means no need for truck rental and driving back and forth to a storage unit, which saves time and money. Mobile storage units can even be kept onsite parked in a driveway for the duration of the packing and moving process during relocation!
- Be Prepared– The relocation process takes planning and being prepared on moving day is vital to having a worry-free process. Make sure to get a full night’s sleep, don’t leave anything to the last-minute, and pack a suitcase with a few days of clothes and toiletries as well as any essentials you’ll need to access while unpacking in the new home. Friends and helpers should also be asked ahead of time and given plenty of notice.
Relocating doesn’t need to be the stressful, anxiety-ridden time of nightmares. Follow our tips for a positive moving experience and make sure to check for mobile storage companies near you that can help take some of the stress off your hands.